Ontario is introducing a number of stricter public health measures, some provincewide and some more targeted to current hotspots like Toronto, Ottawa and Peel, as the province reported a record-high number of new COVID-19 cases on Friday.
The provincial government is also making significant changes to the process of getting a COVID-19 test, which as of October 6 will be done by appointment-only. Assessment centres will stop offering walk-in tests of October 4, in an effort to allow Ontario’s network of labs to work through a backlog of tests that ballooned to more than 90,500 today.
As part of today’s changes, Ontario is pausing the concept of social circles and advising that people limit close contact only to people living in their own household and maintain two metres distance from everyone else. People who live alone may consider having close contact with another household.
“Just keep your circles tight,” Premier Doug Ford said at an afternoon news conference, during which multiple reporters expressed confusion about the details of the province’s updated advice.
For example. Ford and his top health officials struggled to answer when asked if someone should visit their parent who lives in a different house on Thanksgiving later this month.
Meanwhile, masks will now be required in all work places where physical distancing of two metres or more is not possible, as well as on all public transit and in shopping centres provincewide.
Any additional reopenings of businesses in the province will be put on hold for at least 28 more days, Ford added.
CBC News previously reported on a proposal before Ford’s cabinet that would have designated Toronto, Ottawa and Peel as “red zones.” Ford confirmed he had been looking at that proposal but that he decided against doing so after speaking with Quebec Premier François Legault, who said the system, which is in place in his province, was not effective.
“I was talking to Premier Legault and he told me it was very very confusing to the public. You’re constantly changing the colours … Ottawa, Toronto and Peel, they’re the hotspots,” Ford said.
Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, however, repeatedly called the three areas “hot zones” during Friday’s news conference.
WATCH | Ontario Premier Doug Ford introduces further restrictions across Ontario:
Criticism from local health officials
The province’s updated guidelines were not well received by Dr. Eileen de Villa, Toronto’s medical officer of health. The city saw 323 new cases of COVID-19 yesterday.
In a letter to the government, De Villa said it must introduce stricter measures to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus in the city.
- Prohibiting indoor dining.
- Asking people to only leave their homes for essential trips.
- Prohibiting all indoor fitness classes and indoor sports team activities.
- Requiring large venues to submit a plan to Toronto Public health outlining how they will comply with public health regulations.
“These are tough recommendations, but I believe they are necessary in order to protect seniors in our long-term care homes and students in our schools,” said Toronto Mayor John Tory in a statement.
Test backlog grows
Ontario reported 732 additional cases of COVID-19 today.
Toronto saw the most, though Health Minister Christine Elliott noted that some cases confirmed in the spring were included in today’s number due to a data review by Toronto Public Health.
Ottawa recorded 141 more cases and Peel 111.
Other public health units that saw double-digit increases include:
- York Region: 38
- Durham Region: 34
- Simcoe Muskoka: 13
- Halton Region: 11
- Niagara Region: 11
- Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph: 10
About 58 per cent of the newly confirmed infections are in people under 40 years old, Elliott noted, including 30 in students.
The previous record of 700 new cases came just five days ago on September 28.
The province’s official COVID-19 death toll took a considerable jump, increasing by 76 to 2,927. However 74 of those deaths were “reported for cases that occurred in the spring or summer and are now being recorded as part of a data review and data cleaning initiative,” the Ministry of Health said.
Ontario’s network of labs processed 40,093 test samples for the novel coronavirus yesterday, while the backlog of tests waiting to be completed grew to 90,513 — by far the most since the outbreak in late January.
The number of patients in Ontario hospitals with confirmed cases of COVID-19 continued its slow but steady climb, increasing by seven up to 167. Thirty-eight of those people are being treated in intensive care units, and 21 are on ventilators.
The number of confirmed outbreaks in long-term care homes is now at 44.
RNAO calls for tighter restrictions
The Registered Nurses Association (RNAO) called on the provincial government Friday to immediately impose stricter public health measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
“Urgent action is needed to prevent a full lockdown later on. This is something we have implored government officials to do, but their actions are timid and ineffective,” said RNAO CEO Dr. Doris Grinspun in a statement posted online.
Grinspun adding that “the numbers will get much higher unless immediate action is taken to stem the rising tide.”
The letter urges the closure of bars, indoor dining, places of worship and gyms across the province.
Still have questions about COVID-19? These CBC News stories will help.
Will Ontario be able to track down everyone who came in contact with those who have COVID-19?
Is another lockdown coming in Ontario? What do we know about the Ford government’s fall plan?
What’s happening in Ontario schools and child-care centres?
The province just changed its rules around runny noses, and you see what schools have COVID-19 outbreaks on this provincial site
What’s the most recent guidance on mask use?
Who is getting COVID-19?
View original article here Source