- As some provinces halt the use of AstraZeneca, Canada confirms 655,000 more doses will arrive next week.
- Federal compensation not ready yet for vaccine injuries, deaths.
- Toronto not yet ready to consider reopening schools, city’s top doctor suggests.
- Families of COVID-19 victims share their grief as Manitoba reaches 1,000 deaths.
- Private aircraft from abroad landing at smaller Canadian airports despite federal pandemic rules.
- INTERACTIVE | Domestic flights: when provinces infect each other.
- Have a coronavirus question or news tip for CBC News? Email: Covid@cbc.ca or join us live in the comments now.
Canada’s most populous province will extend a stay-at-home order until June 2 in a bid to curb the spread of coronavirus cases within Ontario.
Premier Doug Ford says it is too soon to lift the order, which was set to expire next Thursday.
The move means thousands of businesses and outdoor recreational facilities will remain closed, despite critics urging the reopening of the latter.
Ford says the stay-at-home order and strict public health measures need to stay in place to ensure the province has the most normal July and August possible.
The province’s top doctor has said he would like to see “well below” 1,000 daily cases before Ontario lifts the stay-at-home order.
Ontario reported 2,759 new COVID-19 cases Thursday, with 31 more deaths from the virus.
There are 1,632 people currently hospitalized with COVID-19 across the province, including 776 in intensive care.
-From The Canadian Press and CBC News, last updated at 12:35 p.m. ET
What’s happening across Canada
WATCH | Questions about what’s next for AstraZeneca vaccine:
As of 11:10 a.m. ET on Thursday, Canada had reported 1,309,329 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 75,992 considered active. A CBC News tally of deaths stood at 24,802.
In Quebec, health officials reported 781 new cases of COVID-19 and five additional deaths.
Across the North, Nunavut was the first territory to provide updated figures on Thursday, saying there were 12 new cases. Premier Joe Savikataaq said on Twitter that there were 74 active cases in the territory, with all of them in Iqaluit. Health officials in the Northwest Territories and Yukon had not yet provided an update for the day.
In Atlantic Canada, Prince Edward Island on Thursday reported one new case of COVID-19 in a daycare worker, bringing the number of active cases on the island to seven. Newfoundland and Labrador reported seven new cases Thursday. Health officials in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick have not yet provided updates.
In Manitoba, health officials reported 364 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday and three additional deaths, which brought the province’s pandemic death toll to 1,000.
Saskatchewan, meanwhile, reported 183 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday and two additional deaths. Both Saskatchewan and Alberta have paused first doses of AstraZeneca’s vaccine, citing supply issues.
In Alberta on Wednesday, health officials reported 1,799 new cases of COVID-19 and four more deaths due to the virus. Officials said 737 people were in hospital due to COVID-19, with 169 of them receiving intensive care.
British Columbia, which reported 600 new cases of COVID-19 and one additional death on Wednesday, will be holding its remaining stock of the AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccine to use as second doses for residents.
-From CBC News and The Canadian Press, last updated at 1:05 p.m. ET
What’s happening around the world
As of early Thursday afternoon, more than 160.5 million cases of COVID-19 had been reported worldwide, according to a tracking tool maintained by Johns Hopkins University. The reported global death toll stood at more than 3.3. million.
In the Americas, the number of Americans seeking unemployment benefits fell last week to 473,000, a new pandemic low and the latest evidence that fewer employers are cutting jobs as consumers ramp up spending and more businesses reopen.
In the Asia-Pacific region, Sri Lanka’s government has banned travel throughout the country for three days in an effort to contain rapidly increasing COVID-19 cases.
India recorded more than 4,000 deaths for a second straight day on Thursday and extended the interval between doses of AstraZeneca vaccine amid dire shortages.
In Europe, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced an inquiry next year into the handling of the COVID-19 pandemic that is likely to focus on why the United Kingdom suffered Europe’s worst death toll and was so slow initially to impose a lockdown.
In Africa, Kenya’s health ministry on Wednesday said on Twitter that “925,509 persons have so far been vaccinated against the COVID-19 disease countrywide.”
In the Middle East, Iran’s reported COVID-19 case count stood at more than 2.7 million, with more than 75,900 deaths reported.
-From The Associated Press, Reuters and CBC News, last updated at 12:35 p.m. ET.
Have questions about this story? We’re answering as many as we can in the comments.
View original article here Source